A fresh round of clashes has broken out between Israeli forces and Palestinian militant group Hamas based in the Gaza Strip. The escalation began on the night of October 7th, when an Israeli military strike killed a senior commander of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad organization.
Militant groups retaliated by launching hundreds of rockets towards southern and central Israel over the weekend. The bombardment targeted cities like Tel Aviv, Ashkelon and Ashdod, sending residents fleeing into bomb shelters. Israel’s sophisticated Iron Dome defense system intercepted many of the incoming rockets.
In response, the Israeli Air Force carried out waves of airstrikes aimed at militant bases, rocket launching sites, weapon depots and the homes of Islamic Jihad commanders in the Gaza Strip. The Israeli bombardment has left over 30 Palestinians dead, including civilians as well as militants.
As of October 19, 2023, the Israel-Hamas conflict continues to escalate, resulting in significant humanitarian concerns and international involvement.
- US and Egypt Allow Humanitarian Aid to Gaza – The United States and Egypt have reached an agreement to allow humanitarian aid into the Gaza Strip. This development is critical in providing much-needed relief to the affected population.
- Rising Violence in the West Bank – Violence in the West Bank has been on the rise, adding to the overall instability in the region. The West Bank has witnessed clashes and confrontations that have further exacerbated tensions.
- Israeli Air Raid in Southern Gaza – An Israeli air raid in southern Gaza resulted in a tragic loss of life. At least 30 people were killed, and another 21 were injured in this airstrike, highlighting the devastating impact of the conflict on civilians.
- Israeli Strikes in Southern Lebanon – Israel conducted strikes on Hezbollah positions in southern Lebanon. These actions underscore the regional dimensions of the conflict.
- Israeli Raids in the West Bank – Israeli raids in the occupied West Bank have led to the deaths of at least five Palestinians. The West Bank remains a focal point of conflict and instability.
- Casualty Figures – The casualty figures continue to rise. In Gaza, the death toll stands at 3,478, with 12,065 others wounded. In Israel, at least 1,400 people have been killed, and 3,800 have been injured since the Hamas attacks that began on October 7, 2023.
- Crisis at Turkish-Palestinian Friendship Hospital – The only cancer hospital in Gaza, the Turkish-Palestinian Friendship Hospital, is on the verge of shutting down due to a lack of fuel. This poses a severe threat to the healthcare infrastructure in the region.
- International Diplomatic Efforts –British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has arrived in Tel Aviv to meet with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and President Isaac Herzog. Additionally, US President Joe Biden visited Tel Aviv to extend support to Israel and announced an aid deal for Gaza.
- Hospital Blast in Gaza – The Gaza hospital blast is believed to be the result of a Palestinian Islamic Jihad rocket misfire, according to US officials. This incident adds to the complexity of the situation in Gaza.
The Israel-Hamas conflict remains a deeply concerning issue with far-reaching humanitarian consequences. International efforts are ongoing to de-escalate the situation and address the urgent needs of the affected populations.
What is the Issue between Israel & Hamas?
The conflict between Hamas and Israel has been a longstanding issue in the Middle East. It has led to multiple incidents of violence, including recent terror attacks.
Who is Hamas?
Hamas, short for Harakat al-Muqawama al-Islamiyya, is a Palestinian militant organization with both political and military wings. Founded in 1987 during the First Intifada, Hamas has played a significant role in Palestinian politics and the Israel-Palestine conflict. Its primary goal is to establish an independent Palestinian state in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.
How Hamas Get Fund to do Terror Activities?
Hamas is primarily funded by various sources, including private donations, charities, and contributions from sympathetic individuals and organizations. While there have been allegations and some reports suggesting that Hamas has received support from Iran, it is important to note that the nature and extent of this support can vary over time and can be difficult to ascertain definitively.
As for ISIS, there isn’t substantial evidence to support a substantial direct funding relationship between Hamas and ISIS. It is essential to approach such claims with caution and rely on verified and up-to-date information from credible sources.
What is the Root Causes of the Conflict?
The Israel-Hamas conflict stems from complex and deeply rooted issues. Historical land disputes, competing national identities, and religious tensions have all contributed to the ongoing hostilities. The Palestinian people’s desire for self-determination and statehood stands in opposition to Israel’s security concerns.